Thursday, July 25, 2013

1970s Disneyland

I have recently been inspired by 1070s Disneyland. While watching videos about Disneyland on Netflix I was exposed to images and video footage of what Disneyland looked like in the 70s. They mentioned that there was a cultural shift during the 70s, and that the theme park owners were trying to keep up to date with what people wanted out of theme parks. Having recently gone to Disneyland, I really appreciate it for what it is now, preserving a lot of the old rides but also making room for new things and playing to everybody's interests, so there are special places for everybody that goes there. But this whole 1970s idea of Disneyland really got me, how they made this new hotel that had the Amtrak going through it, how things were getting really hip, and how looking back on that now, it does look really hip! (This hotel happened at DisneyWorld, but it still ties into the theme). But there's something really nostalgic about looking at it now, having grown up being exposed to my dad's culture of growing up, him talking about 70s things and his childhood, going to disneyland, looking at the furniture in his childhood house and seeing all of the cool 70s stuff, I really feel like my heart is in the 70s right now, and seeing how the 70s effected places like Disneyland really interests me. I like to imagine my dad as a kid with his family going to Disneyland and riding on rides like this. I know Disneyland must have been such a different place back then, and I love the way it is now, but I really like to think about what it must have been like.




(These are some of the movies I can see inspiring Disney rides at the time.) 

It's a Small World ride has recently added some Disney characters to it, but learning in the movie about how the ride was originally mad really got to me and made me want to see the ride in its original glory all the more. The song that was originally composed for the ride was a slower ballad, the song was slower so it made you think more about the lyrics and had a different effect on your heart. And seeing that made me realize why the ride is so popular--the message that that ride has has the most powerful message of any of the rides, bring the world together and having world peace! No wonder that ride is so popular. And it really makes Disneyland all the more of a wonderful place. I think the It's a Small World Ride is definitely the heart of Disneyland and the most important ride, the best ride, and the reason Disneyland has been so set apart and such a special place. Without that ride, the disney magic would be there but with it there, Disneyland all of a sudden becomes a lot more important.


(That kind of went on a tangent about how much I love the It's a Small World Ride but now I get back to the point that the It's a Small World ride is an integral part to the 1970s Disneyland experience. The ride in it's original form, not a blatant inspiration from a Disney movie, but a ride with a lot of heart and magic that goes along with Disney and makes the Disneyland experience so much more of a place and a continuation of Disney, not something that has to exactly match the movies but go along with Disney and who he was, his vision, and what he accomplished. It's very inspiring that he would make rides like that that were an essence or part of Disney but not the whole movie package necessarily.)

[That was also a tangent, but it brings me back to the point of why It's a Small World is so important to the experience that I'm talking about.]

DisneyWorld back then also had treehouse lodging, which they took down, (and it makes me think, whyy?? And because I'm thinking why?? it makes that time seem all the more curious and interesting because they took it down. I like the idea of certain safety precautions or things not being taken into consideration back then and DisneyWorld being more of a natural place than artificial and rules not really applying because it's the 70s [although Disney has always been artificial]. I like thinking about the atmospheric change that was taking place at that time. And the transition from the 70s disneyworld and land to the current ones.



On that note of the change between the 1970s Disneyland to the more current one, I'd like to take a look at a very inspiring change that took place to me, and that is the transition from the medieval town to the Fantasy Faire town, which is now currently alive in Disneyland, and is more welcoming of movies like Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, and Snow White. This old medieval town that used to have its place reminds me of movies like The Sword in the Stone, The Black Cauldron, and Sleeping Beauty, whose atmospheres may have related to a 1970s audience better than the modern audience today. But that town very much appeals to me, liking those movies and that sort of town and feel that they were set in. I would have liked to go to Disneyland back then and see that.

Somebody on YouTube made this ride up, but I think it would go very well into the place that I'm talking about. Just the right sort of mood and idea of the whole medieval castle Disney era.






So in short--I love 1970s Disneyland and I really like the way that Disneyland is now but it's really fun to think about how it was back then and I like to fantasize about it and what it was like to be in the 1970s back then and that whole visual experience of it really makes me happy.


I think in current Disneyland, the area to get the most of this kind of feel, and the area I love going to because it gives me a real life taste of it, is Sleeping Beauty's tower, which is even cooler because it's so remote and hidden and not everyone knows about it because the entrance to it is this tiny little door in the corner, there's no big signs or anything!

This is the Documentary/Info Video I watched that provided me with most of this inspiration/information.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70135918&trkid=2450709

No comments: